Thursday, September 13, 2012

Finally!!

Well, after what seemed like ages, I am finally settled in to my Georgian home, and couldn't be happier!!
The plane landed last night at 11pm and I was warmly greeted with a bottle of Georgian wine from passport control. I then headed down, collected my bags and exchanged my money. I organized my things and headed outside to grab a taxi to my hostel. It is nice to know that I haven't lost any of my negotiating skills as the driver tried to charge me 40 Lari for a cab to my hostel (the same ride to the airport from the hostel only costed 20 when I left for home), after a short broken english/georgian conversation he called a taxi for 20 Lari (I win :)). To my surprise, I was exstatic to be here, thinking I was going to be missing home more than ever when I landed, I couldn't wipe the smile off my face. When I arrived at the hostel, I settled in, called home and tried to call it a night, but with no success (I have the time change to thank for that). I finally fell asleep at 4:30 am, and didn't wake until 11. I made myself presentable, and headed out to enjoy Tbilisi until my Marshutka left at 3.
When I got to the bus station, I was told that the marshuta wasnt leaving for another hour (for my fellow Canadians, 1 hour in Georgia is not 1 hour, GMT=Georgia Maybe Time). I waited for almost 2 hours and we set off to Akhmeta. When I finally arrived in Matani, after negotiating another cab from Akhmeta, I could barely contain myself as I knew my family was waiting for me through that large steel gate. I thanked the cabbie, dropped my things outside of the cab and practically ran up the driveway. My host mama was sitting down cleaning walnuts, and quickly dropped everything and ran to me. I could feel the tears welling up as I opened my arms for her hug. I barely set my things down and Nineli, says "Katie, eat?", this didn't surprise me one bit! I brought my things to my room and went downstairs. I get to the kitchen and she had made me scrambled eggs, and soup(she knows what I like!!). After dinner, I made some tea and sat out by the fire with my mama. After my tea I decided to head upstairs to unpack and set up my room. Now, I have taken up my usual spot on the balcony/deck and am enjoying all the sounds Georgia has to offer :).
Man, I can't even begin to describe how happy I am to be here. I miss everyone and everything at home tremendously, but I am quite content where I am for the time being!

Until next time!! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment